Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Comes with Tenants

A nice two family. Two beds on the first floor; three upstairs. Third floor is semi-finished; lots of potential.

The owner has a disclosure: "The house has ghosts. They've been here since the 60's," she says, "Is this a problem?"

"Only if the unit is rent controlled," I tell her.

She proffers me details. Something about an ancient North American burial ground being disturbed when the house was built in 1960. How does she know this? She reports that she has been reincarnated. In a previous life, she was Pocahontas. Never mind that Pocahontas's real name was Matoaka (Pocahontas was a nickname), and that Pocahontas never got to within 300 miles of Watertown, Massachusetts. How come everyone who has been reincarnated was someone famous in a previous life? I mean, I have never heard of someone saying, "I was a real estate broker during the Black Death of 1348."

N'er you mind, readers. Turns out, the ghosts are mild mannered, quiet and courteous...none of that haunting stuff. Maybe a little "Everly Brothers" music from time to time but that is o.k. More like Casper kind of ghosts -- they've never bounced a check, I would guess.

But as the owner disclosed the information, so too do I report this to prospective buyers, and guess what?...folks think it is cool -- true or not -- the woman is getting offers. Even better, the family across the street has a teenager who prefers to dress in that dismal black Goth style. She looks like a VAMPIRE to me. Maybe I'll have her come over when I run the next Open House.

No comments: