Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Face in the "Crow"ed

The other day, I had the opportunity to exchange business cards with a listing broker from Wakefield. I chose not the to glance at the card at that moment, but rather, showing due respect for the person's name and position, I tucked said card in my breast pocket where warmth from my heart would emanate and...stop me.

When I reached my office, I took the card out to enter the information into my database and lo, I received the real estate suprise...you know what I mean. How is it possible that the matronly gray haired old lady with the crows feet is the same person as the picture on the card -- you know -- the dark haired smooth skinned hotty that with a few drinks in me I could see as my "Mrs. Robinson"?

Now I do not use pictures on my cards. I leave that spot open and for good business reasons. That empty spot serves a purpose. When I leave a tip, I leave a card with a small note scribed in that spot -- yes it gets business. When I give my card, I give a piece of info beyond the name, "Oh wait!! here's something I want you to know", and I jot it down. MY cards are saved.

Don't get me wrong...MY mug appears on my lisitng sheets, in ads, internet and other places. But it comes with all the grease paint removed. You can see it all, the broken nose, crushed ear, fractured jaw. It gives me character and folks do recognize me on the street. Not that I look like Quasimodo, or anything, but mind you if I did, I'd subdivide the cathedral and go "condo" with it.

No comments: